NOTE:

I do not make, sell, or traffic in bootleg/recast dolls or any other product.

I do not provide information on where or how to buy them.

Any recast information on this blog is for information purposes only, for identifying recast products on the second hand market.


Monday, May 13, 2013

FAQ: Items to have on hand for your first doll and What is a Box Opening


This is another question I find frequently on forums. I've put together a simple list for those who are interested. It's just my opinion, and nothing is really mandatory. I will add to it as I think of more things or get suggestions. Hope this helps!

You'll want basic things to clean and maintain your doll.

  • Mr. Clean Magic Erasor or other magic sponge
  • Isopropyl alcohol (for cleaning smudges and stuff)
  • Elastic- not a must, but handy especially if you're buying second hand
  • Eye putty- not a must, but handy to have


Face up (if ordering a blank doll and not commissioning a face up artist) you'll want basic face up supplies; see this post here.

Clothing and Accessories:
  • I like my incoming doll to at least have one outfit and pair of shoes that fits. Otherwise, have some sewing supplies handy so your new resin friend isn't naked. Any accessories you want can always come later, but I find them fun so I like to collect lots of them.
  • Many dolls come with eyes, but some don't. Try to have a pair of eyes you like that fits your doll.
  • Most dolls don't come with wigs, and even if they do they may not be quite what you envision. Try to have a wig or two on hand. Store your wigs in wig nets with balls of cotton or tissue inside to help maintain shape.


Will you be going on lots of adventures? Consider a doll carry case!

Will you be taking lots of pictures? Consider a nice camera. It doesn't have to be a fancy DSLR (though it can be!), and even a point and shoot will do.

Collecting lots of stuff for your doll? A nice tote or storage bin will keep it all together. I like to have smaller tackle boxes for eyes and stuff, one for shoes, one for wigs, etc.

What is a box opening?
A box opening is a fun thing where you film you opening your box or take pictures. They are good for showing how a company packs the dolls and for sharing in their owner's excitement. Box openings often but are not required to:
  • Show the outer  shipping box
  • Show the inner box
  • Show the doll wrapped up
  • Show the extras ordered or received
  • Show close ups of the doll's face and or body, especially if it's a newer release.
  • Some box openings tell a story with photos, text, and dialogue
  • Some box openings have other dollie "helpers"
  • Often have a cat or pet in the box at the end of the shoot for laughs.

Where can I post my box opening?
Your favorite forum, personal blog, photo sharing site, or youtube!

As always, thank you for reading and happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! <3 I try to follow up on every comment my readers make.