NOTE:

I do not make, sell, or traffic in bootleg/recast dolls or any other product.

I do not provide information on where or how to buy them.

Any recast information on this blog is for information purposes only, for identifying recast products on the second hand market.


Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Iplehouse JID legit vs recast comparison


I wanted to do a comparison between recast and legitimate JID girls from Iplehouse. For those who don't know, JID are the 42cm-sized range from Iplehouse. The sculpts currently available as recast in the JID line that I am aware of are: Asa, Tatiana, Benny, Daniel, Jerome. (Don't contact me about buying them, and I don't own recast JIDs.)

Since I don't own my own recast JID, a friend over at AtticFlowers has graciously taken some photos of her recast girl, Kourin, a JID Asa.

Our Guests:

Face up
(legit)

And Kourin:

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(recast)

Here are some pictures of the recast girl. Where applicable I will provide pics of the legitimate girl or give my commentary.


AtticFlowers says her recast girl has a tendency to fall out of joint a lot. This does happen with my legitimate girl, but only when she is strung loosely. Once she's strung super tight (which is hard to by yourself) and with thicker elastic (I use a thickness best suited for SDs because she is so heavy), my legitimate girl doesn't have this issue.

Recast JID Asa for comparion

Here the body overview of both dolls. The recast is on the left of the screen, the legitimate on the right. As you can see, both dolls' joints are very flush.

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(recast)

Legitimate JID girl for comparison
(legit)

AtticFlowers says she, "sanded out most of her [the recast girl's] seam lines. They were BAD, and the sanding done by the recaster was sub par. You can see where the aggressive sanding by the recaster left a gap in the shoulder, the drill hole was also partly to blame."

Recast JID Asa for comparion

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(both pics are of the recast girl)

The legitimate girl does have some obvious seam lines, mostly on the back of her legs, but nothing too major.


The head cap seems to fit very well on the recast. Note that it does not have an Iplehouse plate in the back, where the legitimate does. Note the sticker on the Legit girl's head. It is thick, blue, and slightly domed rather than a flat, matte sticker.

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(recast)

Legitimate JID girl for comparison
(legit)

Here is the inside of the headcaps. Both headcaps have the JID mark inside, but where the legit girl has a serial number (I assume this is for the sculpt, not the specific doll), the recast just has the doll name.

Recast JID Asa for comparion

Legitimate JID girl for comparison
(legit, placeholder pic until I can get a better one)

Important note: If someone knows if other legit JID sculpts contain names rather than serial numbers, please let me know. I could not find any information on this. It is possible that some legits just have names as well, rather than serial numbers like the Tania sculpt has.

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(recast)

In this recast, the string channels are actually drilled really well.

Recast JID Asa for comparion

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(both pics recast)

Yet, the insides of the recast remain messy. Legit insides generally do not like look this, and do not look like this in my legitimate girl.

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(recast)

AtticFlowers says, "The C shaped pieces on the wrists are very fragile. This one was miscast slightly and broke when I tried to fix it. It's actually in two pieces, but stays in place well. Gluing didn't help, as its a high stress area."

Recast JID Asa for comparion

Recast JID Asa for comparion
(both pics recast)

Legitimate JID girl for comparison
(legit)

The legit girl lost her wrist pieces long ago. >.<

Well I hope this helps!  As always, don't judge a second hand doll as a recast too quickly, do your homework and shop safe!

Oh and be sure to check out my friend's tumblr, Flowers in the Attic, here!

Happy collecting!



8 comments:

  1. I have a jid benny that was cast in 2013 and has no serial number on her headcap. It just reads JID benny on the head. She is authentic though because she came from Iple and has her CoA . I have a tatiana that came from ebay, she has every indication of being authentic, being that she has a serial on the headplate, the domed sticker, smooth insides and has the realskin color to boot, but no CoA. Did you ever find any more info on the serial numbers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, unfortunately no I wasn't able to. I asked some legit owners for info, but they knew little more than I did. I'm going to shoot an email to Iplehouse itself asking for more information. It's been on my to-do list. XD

      Delete
  2. Ok, I emailed Iplehouse and this is the answer I got. First, my question:

    Hello Iplehouse!

    I have a question about recast dolls. I was wondering about the serial number located on the head plate of some JID dolls. I know some older JIDs have a serial number on the headplate along with the name of the doll sculpt and also the letters JID. I bought one last year from your company with only the name of the sculpt and JID and it did not have a serial number. Why didn't it have a serial number like older dolls do? I was reading about recast dolls and how they ruin the wonderful business many Korean BJD companies have. I never want to buy a recast doll and wonder if having a serial number on the head plate means whether or not the doll is a recast. Can you help me understand why some dolls have a serial number and some do not?

    This was their response.

    Dear Spyrall,

    When we first started our business, it was a one man company.
    We got bigger and bigger, but for some time all the dolls were made by one person, our CEO.
    And at that time, he use to put a serial number inside all the heads.

    But as we got bigger, we stopped putting serial number inside the head.
    So dolls without serial number is also our original doll so you don't have to worry about it.

    Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you and have a nice day.

    Hope this helps, it helps clear things up for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually helps a ton! Thank you very much! If it's okay with you, I'd like to add this info to the main post. I'll credit you if you don't mind me updating using this info. ^_^

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! When I get a chance to add your info to the post I'll be sure to credit you. Thank you!<3

      Delete
  3. I just got an Iplehouse Jerome with a Daniel headcap off the secondhand market, and I believe he is a recast. The reason is resin shrinks as it is curing, and all of his stats are smaller than they should be. Would it be possible to take a picture of the two dolls side by side to see how the size compares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but unfortunately I've never owned a recast JID. These photos were provided to me by her owner. I also no longer own my legit JID, so I regret I cannot take any more pictures for you. :( My guess is, unfortunately, your boy is most likely recast based on the information you've provided here.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! <3 I try to follow up on every comment my readers make.